Saturday, July 12, 2008

Four New Kittens



Guess what we have in our backyard? Yep, four kittens. They are so cute! Let me try to explain how they came to live in our yard. A few months ago, a cat started hanging around our yard. She had a collar, but no tag. She would basically just come and eat, but not stay all the time. After a few weeks, we noticed that she was spending more and more time at our house. At some point, we decided that she needed a name. We named her Mrs. Peanut (Mrs. P for short) after my childhood cat Peanut (or Mr. Peanut) who died last year. About a month ago, Burt realized that Mrs. P was pregnant. We had no idea when she would have the kittens, but didn't think it would be this soon.
On Thursday Will and I were playing outside when Burt came home from work. He came out to join us and Mrs. P was hanging around. Burt looked at her and noticed that she looked smaller and realized that she'd had the kittens. We looked around the yard and couldn't find them, which worried us. Once we went inside, Burt watched from the window to see where she went. Burt went back outside and found the four kittens. They seem to be doing well. The strangest thing is that she had an old tennis ball in with them. Today, we noticed that she had moved them the kittens a few feet and the ball was right there with them! Mrs P will come out and socialize when we are outside playing, but she doesn't stray far from her babies. There are two gray kittens, one black and one gray and white.
I took some pictures, but I wasn't able to get too close. I will take more when they start moving around and post them. In the next to the last picture, you can see the tennis ball. The last picture is the proud mama kitty!



8 comments:

Shannon said...

How Cute!! Looks like I am not the only one who will be fostering baby kittens and trying to find good homes for them! I bet Will will have a ball (no pun intended) with them and their little green friend when they get old enough to start romping around!

a tennis ball??? hmmm.... how interesting. Maybe she thinks it is like a decoy, that predators will go after the colorful green baby first!?!?!?

Heather said...

We thought that the tennis ball was really odd. The only thing that I could figure out was that she was tricking the babies and giving them something to curl up with when she had to leave them for a few minutes. They seem to always be near the ball.
I think Will is going to have a great time playing with the kittens when they get older. If we could only teach him the meaning of gentle! :)

AMT said...

At first I thought that I had clicked the link to Shannon's blog and not yours! :) (I really did have to check the URL just to make sure.)

Those kittens are so cute/ Have fun watching them!

Heather said...

Amber, you can't even imagine how much your comment made me laugh!:) Don't worry, I will have a post soon about Will, I promise.

Shannon said...

hey... I don't know if I should think that is funny or take offense to it!! My blog isn't all about kittens!!! I post flower pictures too!

Heidi said...

Too funny! I did the same thing as Amber. I was like, "Oh my Lord! Shannon has four MORE kittens???"

AMT said...

Uh-oh, Shannon; I think you have a kitten reputation now! Which, by the way, I think is awesome.

Heather said...

Just an interesting kitty update. She moved the kittens, again. I think she was tired of us checking on them all of the time. They are now under our shed. We still check on them occasionally, but are trying to leave them alone. Anyone know how old they are before they come out to play?